Hello there! Here’s the writing test for the PaperKatBooks Mentoring Program. Based on experience, one of the strengths that can help you in writing a short novel is to be able to visualize it in your head using images. This is not meant to test your grammar. This test is designed to gauge how far your imagination can go.
- Choose one (1) image from the choices below.
- Write a 300- to 500-word episode or scene based on the image. For example, for the coffee shop image, you can write why the girl is there. Maybe she got stood up?
- End your piece with a cliffhanger. In other words, write it in such a way that people would want to read more. Make me want to send you a message on Facebook asking for the next scene/episode. If you’ve read my books, that’s what I’m good at. If you join this mentoring program, I will teach you how to do it.
- Write in first-person or third-person point of view.
- You can write in past tense or present tense.
- Write majority of the episode in English. Tagalog/TagLish lines are okay but the majority should be in English.
- Maximum of 700 words.
- Please don’t send me Wattpad links or Word Document files of your previous works. This writing test is designed to test your imagination and storytelling prowess, not your past achievements. Everyone gets a chance to join.
- Send your writing test application along with your Name, Email Address and Contact Details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The genre should be Contemporary Romance.
So what happens if you passed the writing test?
Since we’re only accepting a limited number of people to mentor, we’ve decided to have a pitching session before we formally accept. To pitch your stories to #PaperKatBooks, please send us the following after you’ve passed the writing test.
- Story Description / Short Synopsis - Upon acceptance to the program, we teach people how to create a complete synopsis.
- Your Target Market - What type of readers are you writing for? For example, my ideal readers for the Before I Do trilogy are the working women (Fun, fearless, fabulous females, aged between mid-20s to late 30s.
- What are your short-term and long-term plans for the story you’re pitching? - Do you want to turn it into an eBook, printed book, movie script, etc.?
All of these will help us gauge how we can help you through the program. You can send them to us at email@example.com in Word Document form after passing the test.
The professional fee and payment terms for the mentoring program will be discussed through email.